While testing the Visual Studio 2010 CTP went ahead and created a project, forgetting that the target version was in reality Visual Studio 2008. That said, since it was working just as it was required; found myself with the need to find a way to convert it backwards with as little re-work as possible.
Keep in mind that the Visual Studio 2010 CTP is still not the final release and things might change down the road, but for the moment the steps that worked for me are listed below.
· Open the .sln file corresponding to the Project to be converted with Notepad
· Locate the following line: Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 11.00
· Replace 11.00 with 10.00
· Locate the following line: # Visual Studio 10
· Replace 10 with 2008
· Save the File
· Delete the .cache files existing in the following paths:
· Open the project with Visual Studio 2008
· Build the project with Visual Studio 2008